CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
The Biological Research Centre (BRC) at Szeged, Hungary is announcing its fellowships within the frame of the International Training Course (ITC) to conduct selected research programs in contemporary biology under the supervision of research staff of the BRC.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Applicants should have a university degree (M.Sc. or equivalent) either in natural or medical or agricultural or veterinary sciences. The official language of the course is English. Knowledge of English of the applicants should be appropriately documented. BRC will provide monthly stipend for the ITC fellows as well as free accommodation, or contribution to the cost of housing in the city. Applicants providing their own sponsorship and/or bench fee will have preferences to be admitted to the course. The start of the courses of the academic years is adjusted to the start of the semesters at the University of Szeged (first week of September in 2017) and lasts for 11 months. Application package (including the application form, the consent form – downloaded from this website – and the mandatory supplements as listed in the application form) should be mailed to the secretariat of the ITC. For the 2017/2018 academic year, printed and signed complete applications should reach the ITC secretariat before June 15, 2017. The filled application form (without the supplementary material) should also be sent as an MS Word file e-mail attachment to the ITC secretariat before May 25, 2017. The contact person of the course is Ms. Tímea Varga, from whom further information can be obtained (ITC Secretariat, Biological Research Centre, H-6726 Szeged, Temesvári krt. 62, Fax: +36-62-432-576, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org)
RESEARCH PROGRAMS AVAILABLE FOR THE ACADEMIC YEAR OF 2017/2018:
(Click on the titles for details!)
It is highly recommended to contact the supervisor of the program of your interest before mailing the application, since you may be asked to be available for an (e.g. Skype) interview. The contact (email) address of each of the research projects is specified in the program details.
- 1. MOLECULAR BASIS OF THE BLOOD-BRAIN BARRIER FUNCTION UNDER INFLAMMATORY CONDITIONS
- 2. ROLE OF THE BLOOD-BRAIN BARRIER IN BRAIN METASTASIS FORMATION
- 3. CHARACTERIZATION OF A PUTATIVE TUMOR SUPPRESSOR CYTOCHROME B561 PROTEIN
- 4. BIOCHEMICAL AND FUNCTIONAL CHARACTERISATION OF PP2A-LIKE PROTEIN PHOSPHATASES IN FRUITFLIES
- 5. STUDYING BACTERIAL POPULATIONS IN MICROFLUIDIC DEVICES
- 6. MAPPING INTERACTIONS AMONG DNA DAMAGE TOLERANCE PROTEINS
- 7. MONITORING CRISPR/CAS9-BASED GENOME EDITING IN PLANTS USING ADVANCED FLUORESCENCE MICROSCOPY TECHNIQUES
- 8. MECHANISMS OF TOXIC EFFECTS OF SILVER NANOPARTICLES IN PHOTOSYNTHETIC AND NON-PHOTOSYNTHETIC BACTERIA
- 9. IDENTIFICATION OF SINGLET OXYGEN RESPONSIVE GENES IN THE CYANOBACTERIUM SYNECHOSYSTIS SP. PCC 6803
- 10. THE EFFECT OF CHLORAMPHENICOL ON PSII PHOTOINHIBITION AND THE PRODUCTION OF SUPEROXIDE IN ISOLATED SPINACH THYLAKOID MEMBRANES
- 11. NANO-MECHANICAL ASPECTS OF BRAIN METASTASIS FORMATION
- 12. ANALYSIS OF AUTOPHAGY - ROLES AND MECHANISMS
- 13. TARGETED CELL MEMBRANE DELIVERY OF SEMISYNTHETIC LIPOPROTEINS
- 14. A MOLECULAR MODELLING APPROACH TO FOLDING AND ASSEMBLY OF MEMBRANE PROTEINS
- 15. IDENTIFICATION AND CHARACTERIZATION OF THE PLAYERS OF CARCINOGENESIS AND MUTAGENESIS
- 16. THE STRUCTURAL MECHANISM OF ACTIVATION OF G PROTEIN-COUPLED RECEPTORS
- 17. AN ANIONIC LIPID EFFECT ON PROLIFERATION AND DIFFERENTIATION OF CYANOBACTERIAL CELL
- 18. CONTROL OF THE EXCITATION ENERGY FLOW IN RECONSTITUTED MODEL PHOTOSYNTHETIC MEMBRANES
- 19. CHARACTERIZATION OF STRESS REGULATORY GENES FROM EXTREMOPHILE PLANTS
- 20. REGULATION OF PROLINE METABOLISM IN ARABIDOPSIS: ON THE CROSSROAD OF DIFFERENT SIGNALING PATHWAYS
- 21. ROLE OF MEMBRANE COMPOSITION IN PHOTOSYNTHETIC PERFORMANCE UNDER CHANGING ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
- 22. COMBINED MAMMALIAN ARTIFICIAL CHROMOSOME AND STEM CELL THERAPIES
- 23. METAGENOME-BASED OPTIMIZATION OF ESCHERICHIA COLI FOR BIOTECHNOLOGICAL PURPOSES
- 24. INVESTIGATION OF ALGAL-BACTERIAL INTERACTIONS AND EXPLOITATION OF THE COMMUNITIES
- (i) Applicants should be under 30 years, in good health. Preference would be given for those who have just finished their university studies. The health condition of the applicants must be appropriately documented by an official health care provider, as indicated in the application form. Result of all of the listed tests has to be specified.
- (ii) Applicants should hold a university degree (M.Sc. or equivalent) either in natural, or medical, or agricultural or veterinary sciences. Some BRC laboratories may have additional requirements which are specified in the description of the research topics.
- (iii) Proficiency in both verbal and written English should be documented in the application. Elected candidates for BRC fellowships will not be admitted to the course whose scientific background or knowledge of English turns to be inappropriate after arrival. These fellows will be asked to leave the course and return to their home country. BRC does not organize language course for the applicants.
- (iv) ITC fellows are advised to take part the course without accompanying family members since their fellowship possibly will not cover the expenses of spouses. BRC cannot provide accommodation for families. Fellows bringing their families should arrange their own accommodation and cover the living expenses of the family members.
- (v) Successful applicants must obtain study visa at the Hungarian Embassy or Consulate in their home country (except those who belong to the European Union) before coming to Hungary. A Letter of Invitation will be issued for this purpose. Initiate visa application early, because visa procedures may take several weeks.
- (vi) ITC fellows are expected to have a medical and accident insurance – arranged before their departure from home – which must be valid for a period of 2 weeks from the date of their arrival at Szeged. After this period their insurance will be arranged by the BRC. Students of the ITC will be covered by the “Studium” program of the insurance company called “Generali-Providencia” for accidents and health insurance with cost reimbursement. Please, be aware that the treatment of those conditions which emerged before the applicant’s arrival possibly will not be covered. (Details regarding the insurance can be found in the “Terms and Conditions” of “Studium” service financing health insurance displayed on the Notice Board & Website of the Foreign Students’ Secretariat of the University of Szeged: www.med.u-szeged.hu/fs.
- (vii) ITC fellow should obtain a certificate from his/her local tax authorities declaring that he/she is currently resident for tax purposes in his/her home country. This certificate should contain the student’s personal data (name, permanent address, ID number, the name of the issuing authorities) and should state that he/she pays the taxes after any income in the home country. If the ITC fellow cannot provide this certificate, personal income tax and other fees, including social security tax, will be deducted from his/her stipend in Hungary.
- (viii) BRC will provide accommodation for a limited number of students in the BRC guesthouse, an apartment building with furnished apartments of 2-3 bedrooms, bathroom and a kitchen. ITC fellows are expected to share the apartments but will be provided with a room for personal use. This accommodation is free but the fellows are personally responsible for the inventory and for any intentional damage or misuse: the ITC fellows should pay the expenses of the repairs. Due to the limited space in the guesthouse, some students might be asked to find apartments to be rent in the city. In such cases BRC will supplement the fellow’s stipend with an appropriate amount.
- (ix) ITC fellows will receive monthly stipend from the BRC at the beginning of each month. This amount is about 70-75% of the income of a Ph.D. student in Hungary, however, considering the provided free accommodation, or the contribution to the accommodation fee, will cover modest living expenses for one person in Szeged.
- (x) BRC does not provide travel support. ITC fellows will have to cover the travel expenses of a round trip between their hometown and Szeged/Hungary including all associated costs such as the fee of the visa, if needed. ITC fellows are expected to return to their home country after completing the ITC training.
TIME TABLE FOR THE ACADEMIC YEAR OF 2017/2018
|March 31, 2017||- topics of the International Training Course is announced|
|May 25, 2017||- deadline for sending applications via email|
|June 15, 2017||- deadline for arrival of mailed application packages|
|July 15, 2017||- information to successful applicants|
|By September 1, 2017||- ITC fellows arrive and accommodate themselves|
|September 2017 - July 2018||- ITC fellows work in host laboratories|
|September 30, 2017||- individual research plans are prepared|
|September 2017 – December 2017||- “Contemporary experimental Biology I.” - “Modern Biological Research Methods I.” lectures and practical demonstrations|
|January 2018||- written exam from the course of “Contemporary experimental Biology I.”|
|February 2018 - May, 2018||- “Contemporary experimental Biology II.” - “Modern Biological Research Methods II.” lectures and practical demonstrations|
|June, 2018||- written exam from the course of “Contemporary experimental Biology II.”|
|July, 2018||- ITC fellows submit research reports and present results at a workshop, diploma ceremony|
|July 31, 2018||- ITC fellows leave for home|
The filled application form (without the signatures) should be sent as an MS Word file email attachment to Ms. Tímea Varga before May 25, 2017. The complete application package, including the printed/signed application form, the signed consent form and all of the supplementary material should be mailed to:
Ms. Tímea Varga
Biological Research Centre
Hungarian Academy of Sciences
Temesvári krt. 62.
The application package should reach the ITC Secretariat at the BRC by June 15, 2017. Incomplete applications or applications received after the deadline will be rejected without consideration.